Monday, January 18, 2010

Changes.

I ported my image generation software to Scala in order to take advantage of the expressiveness of the language. It works really well and this is making it really easy to make interesting changes. For instance, I implemented Adaptive Filtering for Progressive Monte Carlo Image Rendering rather easily, which helps smooth noise in dark areas, resulting in image improvements like this:



As you can see by comparing this image to the previous one, the noise in the dark areas is pretty much diminished. Electric Sheep uses the same technique, of course, as does the flam3 library. One thing I'd like to figure out is if I can get flam3 to generate this particular fractal, which isn't all that complicated but just involves 2 rules which happen to combine affine transformations in cartesian and polar space.

No comments: